Billboard reports new record numbers for LPs in the US. Here are the highlights:
- 1.842 million vinyl records were sold in the US in the week leading up to christmas according to Nielsen Music/MRC Data. This is the largest week for the format since Nielsen began electronically tracking music sales in 1991.
- The previous high was set only a week earlier, when 1.445 million were sold in the frame ending Dec. 17.
- Bestseller was Paul McCartney’s III, which sold 32,000 copies marking the third-largest sales week for a vinyl album since 1991.
- LP sales outpaced CD during this week as it did during three other weeks in 2020.
- US Indie record stores also reached a new record, selling 733,000 units in the week ending on December, 24.